July 27, 1899: “Parade To-Night, Sure”

Parade To-Night, Sure

Newsboys Say They Have a Permit at Last—Reputed Treason Denied.

The strike leaders of the Newsboys’ Protective and Benevolent Union followed the most approved methods of labor leaders of riper years yesterday in developing a marked tendency toward issuing statements. Mr. Kid Blink’s promise of a parade that night was not fulfilled. His report of a permit from the Mayor appears to have been on the nature of a “song and dance.” Mr. Dave Simons said last night that they had really got a permit now from President York of the Police Board, and that the parade would come off to-night. Simons said that there would be three bands in the parade—one for the Manhattan boys, one for the Brooklyn boys, and one for the Harlem boys. He said that he expected to see 6,000 boys in line. Starting from City Hall Park at 8 o’clock the parade will move up the Bowery and Third avenue to Fifth-ninth street, over to Fifth avenue and then to Washington Square. Mr. Simons said that a published report that he and Kid Blink had been deposed as leaders of the strike for going over to the enemy was a device of that enemy, and that the report was not true.

The West Side Newsdealers’ Association passed resolutions yesterday indorsing [sic] the demands of the newsboys.

The drivers of two delivery wagons pitched into a hackman in front of the Thirty-third street entrance of the Waldorf-Astoria last night. The hackman had called them scabs. A policeman found the three men rolling in the street and, on the hackman’s complaint, arrested the drivers, whose names are Johnson and Dannon.

From 9 until 10 o’clock last night, 200 of the striking Brooklyn newsboys held a mass-meeting on the Johnson street side of the Post Office. They had made a platform of old dry goods boxes. The principal orators were Eddy Murphy, Walter Murphy, Timmy Kelly and the “Black Wonder.” Walter Murphy said that the World and Journal had offered to come down from 60 to 55 cents a hundred. At the windup a cigar box was circulated for contributions.

Reports that the strike was over were sent into suburban towns, but the suburban boys didn’t believe it and held on.

Lewis Miller, who was selling boycotted papers, was pushed off a south-bound Third avenue cable car at Thirty-fourth street yesterday afternoon by a passenger, and went to Bellvue to be treated for a lame hip. He refused to stay in Bellvue, and walked down to Park row. Here he was sent to Hudson Street Hospital.

Source: “Parade To-Night, Sure.” The Sun [New York], 27 July 1899, p. 3.