From the December 21, 1903 edition of the New York Sun:
Newsboys’ Home Fixed Up.
Changes and Betterments in the Old Duane Street Building.
After being closed for repairs for nearly six months, the Newsboys’ Lodging House, at Duane and New Chambers streets, is again open.
The old dark stairs leading to Duane street have been replaced by a wide, well lighted flight of stone steps leading to New Chambers street. A new doorway and an artistic illuminated sign, presented by one of the managers of Tiffany’s, make the entrance attractive.
The assembly room has been repainted and has a new hardwood floor. New steam-fitting and plumbing have been put throughout the building. The gymnasium has been put in good shape and the house is ready for more boys than ever before.