From the December 21, 1903 edition of the New York Sun:
After being closed for repairs for nearly six months, the Newsboys’ Lodging House, at Duane and New Chambers streets, is again open.
The old dark stairs leading to Duane street have been replaced by a wide, well lighted flight of stone steps leading to New Chambers street. A new doorway and an artistic illuminated sign, presented by one of the managers of Tiffany’s, make the entrance attractive.
The assembly room has been repainted and has a new hardwood floor. New steam-fitting and plumbing have been put throughout the building. The gymnasium has been put in good shape and the house is ready for more boys than ever before.
From the December 18, 1903 edition of the New York Sun:
Newsboys’ Home to Reopen.
The Lodging House Has Been Refitted and the Entrance Moved.
The Newsboys’ Lodging House, at New Chambers and Duane streets, which has been closed since August, is to open again on Saturday night. The building has been improved, the main entrance being now at 14 New Chambers street, instead of on the Duane street side.
The Christmas dinner will be given by William Flies of West Fifty-seventh street, who has given the newsboys a Christmas spread and eaten with them for many years. On account of ill health he will not be able to attend the dinner this year.